Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Baby Bode

Well, baby #4 FINALLY made it. I ended up being 3 days overdue. Doesn't sound like that long, but when you're ready...you're ready! I was due Friday, December 10th and when Sunday came around and I hadn't had the baby, I decided I'd take my bassoon and play in the Messiah production that our community puts on (I secretly hoped I'd blow in my horn so hard I'd break my water, but that didn't happen). Originally, I wasn't going to play because I was going to have a 2 day old baby. But, since I wasn't doing anything else, and I love it, I decided that would be the best use of my time that evening. When I got home, I'd had it. I was ready. So I pushed on some acupressure points and started having regular contractions. We headed to the hospital about 2 hours later, a little prematurely because 1: it's an hour away and you never know what's going to happen, and 2: I had to have antibiotics for GBS. I wanted to make sure I had a full dose before delivering. When we got there I was dilated to 7, but not in any pain. So, I slept a while and rested. The next morning (December 13th) I was still dilating and still not in any pain. I walked the halls, ran warm water over my belly, listened to music, rocked in the chair, basically did anything I could think of to get things going.

Here I am...in labor. Yes, actually dilating and still smiling. Crazy!
Me and Josh
By 2:30 that afternoon, I was fully dilated and effaced, but still no pain and still no baby. So, my midwife decided we should break my water. After a little pitocin (the drug from HELL) to make sure my contractions were strong enough to keep the baby in the birth canal, a few really nasty contractions, more crying than I've ever done in labor, and 2 pushes, we had baby BOY #4!! Bode McCoy was born at 5:34pm weighing 8lbs 12oz and measuring 21 1/2". We couldn't be more thrilled to add another handsome boy to the bunch.

Sorry for the graphic pictures, but it is MY journal right? :) These pictures are so special to me because Josh delivered Bode. He took the EMT class during fall semester 2010 and was able to practice delivering babies using the Annie doll. I asked our midwife if she'd let Josh help to get a little extra practice on a real baby and she said absolutely. I was thrilled (so was he) that he got to help. He did a great job too!


Way to go Daddy!
Bode McCoy...








Josh and I with our midwife Dixie. She has delivered all 4 of our boys in the same hospital in the same room.



She does LOVE her babies.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

That is a crazy and amazing birth story all at the same time! Congratulations on your adorable new little man. You have a beautiful family, and I wish you guys the best!

Lori said...

What a fantastic birth story. I loved every pic, you look amazing. Way to rock that birth, to you and your husband both! (though most credit goes to you on this one)

Britt said...

I didn't realize Josh got to help deliver. How cool! Bode is so adorable. I should be used to seeing big babies, but he just looks so big in these little newborn pics.